Welcome to another captivating episode! Today’s guest is a South African ultra distance triathlete who is the 2016 Ultraman Florida Champion and 2017 Ultraman World Champion! Introducing Rob Gray! Rob partners with host Gregory McDonough to share his journey in triathlon and how the endurance mindset impacts various areas of his life. He also delves into his transition from Google to a career change, his family's relocation to Thailand, and his approach to overcoming challenges. It’s an enlightening episode you don’t want to miss!
- Rob speaks about the relevance of an "endurance mindset" both in athletics and life, highlighting the cyclical nature of life's highs and lows. The ability to persevere through the tough times and not overindulge during the good times defines this mindset.
- From working at Google to investing his time into coaching and his move to Thailand, Rob’s driving factor was the pursuit of personal fulfillment and passion. He presents a dilemma of financial stability vs. personal satisfaction, and encourages listeners to persevere through uncertainty and take calculated risks.
- Handling unexpected hurdles such as not being able to sell his house in Colorado, Rob illustrates the virtue of resilience and problem-solving which he ascribes to his endurance mindset. His perspective on discomfort, that it often indicates growth and innovation, is an actionable takeaway for leaders and communicators.
- Rob shares his experiences on working at Google which maintained an admirable culture of hiring for character and drive for knowledge, fostering respect and positivity in the company. He stressed that Google's biggest asset is its culture which still maintains its startup feel even after expanding to a large company.
Quote of the Show:
- "There is always an end in sight, and it always gets better." - Rob Gray
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/graymatter/
- Personal Website: http://robgray.org/
- Instagram: @roboultra
Ways to Tune In:
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/580aLDKac1ld031W4nWDtp
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/chief-endurance-officer/id1680214218?uo=4
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy50cmFuc2lzdG9yLmZtL2NoaWVmLWVuZHVyYW5jZS1vZmZpY2Vy
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/3c96880f-8dcd-4a6e-b1c8-fda816f872a9
- Podcast Addict: https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/4340732
- Deezer: https://www.deezer.com/show/5897357
- Player FM: https://player.fm/series/series-3462719
- Podchaser: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/chief-endurance-officer-5250102
- Listen Notes: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/chief-endurance-officer-ringmaster-KMdv2I8XwkN/
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/ERo6pdSPnL4
Keep up to date on our social media accounts:
Creators and Guests
Greg McDonough is a seasoned executive who has owned and operated businesses in the professional services sector, navigating them through both good and tough times. He brings his personal experience of knowing what it’s like to be ‘in the owner’s seat’ when working with clients, taking time to ask the questions others may not.